Wednesday, January 11, 2012

10 Things

Today, Kenlie listed 10 things she's gained from losing weight.  I think it's a fantastic idea and will help remind me why I'm doing what I'm doing and how far I've come.

  1. The ability and the desire to be more active.  I want to go outside, I want to move around.  I can't stand to sit for hours at a time anymore.
  2. Better physical and mental health.  I still have work to do, but I'm so far from where I began it's mind boggling.
  3. The ability to be an advocate for myself medically.  I used to be terrified to disagree with a doctor or to go to the doctor.  Now, I can advocate for myself.  When a doctor told me that I should drink two protein shakes a day and eat a small meal, I knew that was wrong.  I wasn't rude, but I didn't let one doctor unravel all the hard work I've done.
  4. The knowledge that you can't take calcium supplements with iron supplements. This has already helped not only me, but my mother...who was taking her iron and calcium together and couldn't figure out why her blood tests weren't improving.
  5. Lots of pretty new clothes! Oh how I love to shop.  No more buying ugly clothes, just because they fit.  I buy clothes because they're pretty and I like them.
  6. New life experiences.
  7. New blogging friends to support and be supported by when times are tough. I'd list them here, but I'm afraid of forgetting someone and hurting feelings.
  8. An end to my pop addiction. Soda free since `03...wait, no.  Soda free since 6/7/2010.  Damn, I shoulda quit in `03.
  9. Outstanding bloodwork. My PCP raves about my blood work.  A1c, cholesterol, and blood pressure are pretty good.
  10. Confidence.  I'm still a big chicken, but I'm getting better.  I'm no longer the timid wall flower I once was.  Whether or not that's a good thing remains to be seen.
Thanks Kenlie for the fantastic idea!

2 comments:

  1. I really love this list and the idea behind it. I can't wait to make one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were awesome before... I can't wait to hang out with you now!!! Wanna go craft shopping? chasing hot air balloons in a golf cart? Peach or apple pickin? I'll just run over in my slippers... *sigh* Oh how I miss you!

    ReplyDelete