Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Beach Bums

Forgive me for not sharing my vacation photos.  We've been home from the beach for several days and I haven't bored you with my pictures.
Slowing down to take a picture at Broadway at the Beach.

My mother-in-law gave me the best compliment while we were there.  "Before, we were slowing down for you.  Now, you're slowing down for us."  She's right.  I seem to have a problem being still.  I have SO! MUCH! ENERGY!

I also bought my first Del Sol t-shirt.  For the past 5 beach trips, I've had to settle for their nail polish because none of their shirts would fit.  This trip, I had to make tough decisions like which t-shirt I liked best!  I didn't even glance at the nail polish.

I've never been the type of person to go and lay on the beach all day.  I can go swim in the ocean, walk on the beach, build a sandcastle, etc.  Laying on the beach...that lasts about 45 minutes.  Even if I bring a book!  I'm not good at relaxing.  Being busy is what relaxes me.  Is that bizarre?  I thought so too.
We saw several jellyfish while walking on the beach.  SS wouldn't let me touch them nor would he touch them.  Sometimes, he is just no fun.
Sea urchin!  Again, SS wouldn't touch it or let me.  Sigh.

This trip was also an opportunity to check off a few things from my 31 before 31 list.  The first day we arrived on the beach, we walked to the furthest point we'd ever walked previously.  The next day, we walked further.  Turns out, we'd walked almost exactly halfway to the pier at that point.  I snapped a picture to show our progress. 
The pier doesn't look that much further!
Finally, on Thursday we walked all the way.
Not a bad view!
We visited a new attraction at Broadway at the Beach called Wonderworks.


 All I can say, is wow!  It was a lot of fun.  So much fun, we actually skipped the aquarium (first time we've skipped it).


It was like a science museum / fun house / arcade.  It was delightful.

We also went Carolina shag dancing while we were there.  I enjoy any kind of dancing but it's fun learning a new style of dance from my in-laws.

Enjoy the club...the name, not so much.
Finally, our first morning on the beach we arrived to see this:



It's a Loggerhead turtle nest!  I was more than a little excited.  The science teacher in me geeked out, just a little.

Turtle tracks!
All in all, it was a fantastic trip despite the flaring of ulcer pain.  Luckily, I caught it early and called my surgeon who got me straightened out.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Great vacation photos! I would have geeked out over the turtles too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the vacation photos!! I haven't been to the beach in over a year, it's calling to me!!

    ReplyDelete